- Honor your loved ones
- Accept them as they are, not who they used to be or who you want them to be
- Don't nag, correct, or argue. Re-direct the discussion and ignore the way history is being re-written. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things
- Dispense with denial, try to be realistic and accept the changes that are taking place. Are your loved ones safe? What is their quality of life?
- Allow them to be as independent as possible. Do not be overprotective.
- Let go of the past, old battles need to be put aside for wounds to heal. It is healthier to forgive
- Remember this is their life, not yours, see things through their eyes
- Respect their wishes
- Set limits. For yourself and with your loved ones, avoid martyrdom
- Enjoy the time you have together. Time is finite, make it count
By Marsha R. Foley, RN, MBA
Courtesy of AMITA Health System
Ready to take the next step? To learn more about how GreenFields can help you and your loved ones Get Set 4 Life®, please call us at 630-757-5581 to speak with a Residency Counselor.